If you’ve decided to detox TV with us for the month of January, here’s an easy, 20 minute process to help you use that off button!
It’s the holiday season and hopefully you will find some personal downtime in between celebrations. If you’re time-crunched but still want to feel prepared for your TV detox (8 days and counting), this post is for you.
The following process will be easier if you’re relaxed. Take 5 minutes and do some deep breathing or, if you have more time to spare, take a bath/shower or a walk to get the creative juices flowing.
Also, it may help if you make your plan somewhat flexible. You lay the ground rules but the idea here is not to get caught up in the planning process!
Your 20 Minute TV Detox Plan
TIP: Apparently January is a slow month for TV so if you’re looking for more of a challenge, try including the web, music and/or movies!
Step #1: Determining TV time to detox (10 minutes)
- How many hours do I typically spend watching TV in a week?
- What shows are my absolute favs? The ones that make me feel good? Choose these shows (if any) to enjoy for the month.
- How much TV time will I detox a week? Subtract the TV time in answer 2 from TV time in answer 1.
NOTE: If you want to really test yourself or you don’t usually watch a lot of TV, feel free to detox 100% of your TV time!
Step #2: My personally meaningful activities (5-8 minutes)
Brainstorm 3 -15 constructive activities you want to do instead of watching TV.
TIP: Try thinking about what you want to accomplish in 2010. Do you want to increase your yearly income by 10%? Then one of your activities may be an hour a week researching ways to do this.
Here is a list of ideas:
For Health Goals
- An extra hour of weight-training.
- 30 min jog.
- An hour of power: 30 min meditation & 30 min walk.
- Find & try one new healthy recipe. (1 hour)
- Take a class you’ve always wanted to try, like kick-boxing or yoga.
For Wealth Goals
- An hour of creating a new wealth mindset, like reading The Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker.
- 1 hour working on your business or other revenue stream.
- 1 hour brainstorming business ideas.
For Relationship Goals
- An hour of fun with your kids and/or life partner.
- Extra time with your friends and/or extended family.
- Reconnect with 3 people who spring to mind. (1 hour on the phone)
For Spiritual Goals
- Volunteer 1 hour to your community.
- Read 15 minutes of inspirational material 4 times in the week for a total of 1 hour.
- One hour of research into different meditation techniques.
Step #3: Share your 2010 TV Detox plan (2 minutes)
To boost motivation, let’s add accountability to our TV detox commitment. Bookmark this post and once you’ve completed Step 1 and 2, come back and share your plan with us!
I’ll start things off. Here is my personal 2010 TV Detox plan:
For the month of January, 2010, I, Stephanie Miller, will detox 4 hours of TV and 1 movie every week. I will continue to enjoy 1-2 movies a week, plus, my favourite 5 programs (minus the commercials):
- Ghost Whisperer
- Lie To Me
If these series fail to produce a new episode on any given week, I may choose to watch a past episode (through online streaming) or pick an activity from my list.
TIP: To create my constructive activities list, I looked at my 2010 goals and asked myself what next actions would allow me to achieve them.
Here’s what I’ll be doing for The 2010 TV Detox:
- Improve Live Lighter. (1 hour)
- Weight-training (45 min) & core (15 min) workout combo.
- Connect more online. (1 hour)
- Research new business opportunity. (1 hour)
- Research property investment. (1 hour)
- Listen to personal development audio book. (1 hour)
- Walk (30 minutes) & new meditation (30 min) wellness combo.
- Get to know 1 new person & their needs/wants. Offer a valuable solution. (1 hour coffee meet)
Would you like to share some activity suggestions with us? If you do, leave them in the comment section. And if you want to stay up-to-date, sign up to have new posts delivered right to your email or feed reader.
Remember to bookmark this post so you can return to share your 2010 TV Detox plans with us. This is an important step to making the commitment! For those of you returning, let’s hear your plan!