Winter is awesome. Not every day, mind you; tonight on my way home, for instance, when the harsh Arctic winds whipped my face and stung my skin. But then again, it makes coming home that much sweeter. Add a steamin’ cup of hot chocolate, and we got pure heaven!
This recipe is from the Witches’ Almanac, issue 28, Spring 2009 to Spring 2010. I love chocolate and spice but haven’t tried anything like this before. When I do end up trying it, I’ll come back and leave my opinion in the comments. I hope you do, too!
Spicy Hot ChocolatePrint This
- 6 cups of milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 15 whole cardamons, crushed
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 3/4 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, sugar and spices. Bring to a simmer but do not boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover, and steep for 20 minutes.
- Add cocoa and vanilla. Return to heat and bring to a simmer, whisking until blended and foamy. Strain into an 8-cup measuring cup; discard spices. Pour into 6 mugs.