Not only are smoothies a luxurious, party-in-my-mouth, almost orgasmic morning food experience, they are:
- healthy (see nutritional info below)
- quick and easy to make (buy frozen fruit and get a blender)
- ideal for eating on the run (just pour in your travel mug and go)
- easy to digest (by blending, half your digestion is already done)
- full of variety (the only limit is your imagination!)
- customizable (consistency, flavour, sweetness, tartness, milkiness, etc.)
Smoothies were Instrumental to my initial weight-loss during the first part of my individualized health plan and I feel they have helped me maintain since then. The role that protein plays in loosing weight and the importance of including it your meal plans are two separate, future articles.
Until then, just bask in the absolutely delectable taste and silky smoothness of smoothies. Get some recipes here at Live Lighter, in books like Gary Null’s Ultimate Anti-Aging Program and on the Net. Play around with the recipes, have fun and be creative!
Verry Berry Thick ‘n Delicious SmoothiePrint This
- 1 c fozen mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries & bumbleberries)
- 1 serving of good protein powder (I’m currently using Living Harvest hemp protein)
- ¾ c plain 2% yogurt (if you’re trying to loose weight, choose skim or 1%)
- ½ c vanilla flavoured soy beverage (flavoured just to sweeten it up)
Blend until smooth and enjoy.
NUTRITION FACTS Calories: 400 Total Fat: 8.5 g Sat. Fat: 3.2 g Poly Fat: 3.5 g Mono Fat: 0.7 g Cholesterol: 15.0 g Sodium: 260.5 mg Potassium: 383.0 mg Total Carbs: 61.0 mg Dietary Fiber: 10.5 g Sugars: 45.5 g Protein: 21.5 g Vitamin A: 25% Vitamin B-12 50% Vitamin B-6 6% Vitamin C 33% Vitamin D 45% Vitamin E 2% Calcium 60% Folate 6% Iron 38% Magnesium 50% Niacin 8% Pantothenic Acid 15% Phosphorus 25% Riboflavin 25% Thiamin 8% Zinc 10%
*While I generally just throw my ingredients haphazardly in the blender, some prefer to measure and keep track of their calorie intake. To provide value for everyone, all of the healthy recipes on Live Lighter will include additional nutritional value information.