The trees in Toronto are glowing with autumn colours and there’s a chill in the air. There’s always something to love in every season and if you’re having a hard time finding it, food is always a safe bet! Let’s embrace the fall brisk winds with some warm, seasonal soup.
Although the ingredients in this lovely fall soup require a little muscle to prepare, between the creamy texture, sweet, spicy taste and powerful health benefits, you’ll be thankful for the workout the gourd gave you!
Low in calories and high in essential vitamins A and C, this butternut squash, garlic and curry soup is your ticket to better health and youth:
Sweet & Spicy Butternut Squash SoupPrint This
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 small yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small onion
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 2 fresh apples, seeded and cubed
- 6 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp curry
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Throw on some tunes and prepare the veggies.
- In a soup pot, simmer ingredients for approximately 20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Let cool and puree soup in a food blender until smooth.
- Reheat and serve. (or freeze for later!)
Nutritional Information Calories 223.1 Total Fat 5.6 g Saturated Fat 1.2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 3.1 g Cholesterol 7.2 mg Sodium 371.8 mg Potassium 894.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g Dietary Fiber 6.9 g Sugars 6.4 g Protein 8.4 g Vitamin A 264.8 % Vitamin B-12 0.0 % Vitamin B-6 25.0 % Vitamin C 49.6 % Vitamin D 0.0 % Vitamin E 2.1 % Calcium 9.3 % Copper 16.9 % Folate 12.3 % Iron 10.6 % Magnesium 14.9 % Manganese 26.2 % Niacin 29.0 % Pantothenic Acid 9.7 % Phosphorus 14.1 % Riboflavin 16.6 % Selenium 9.7 % Thiamin 16.4 % Zinc 5.1 % *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.