Although the sun is setting later these days in Canada (yay!), it’s still very chilly. Soups are a great way to warm up, get your recommended vegetable intake and fill your belly with a low-calorie, high-nutrient meal.
Thanks to the rice and variety of veggies, this soup is uber hearty. It’s also simple enough to throw together when you’re short on time; just make sure to cook your brown rice ahead of time.
And since it’s short on spice but just flavourful enough with a few herbs, it’s guaranteed to please those who have sensitive palettes!
Steph's Tasty Garden Veggie & Rice SoupPrint This
- 2.5 cups brown rice, cooked
- 6.5 cups broth, veggie or chicken
- 1.5 cups filtered water
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1/2 small green cabbage, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp each dried thyme, marjoram, rosemary
- sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place broth in pot (with fitted lid) and bring to a boil.
- Add veggies and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Add cooked brown rice.
- Bring soup to a boil again, then reduce heat and let simmer, covered for another 10 minutes.
- Season soup with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.