This recipe was inspired by a good friend of mine (Happy Birthday, Denise!) and Jackie Yurko’s Warming Chickpea Stew. This very impressive, robust and lip-smacking stew is absolutely perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Smokey Chickpea StewPrint This
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 med sized yams, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups green kale, chopped
- 1 cup chickpea, cooked
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock/water, yam, additional vegetables (not kale), chickpea, brown rice, and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 30-45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix nut butter with ½ cup liquid from stew.
- Stir mixture back into stew, along with kale, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, tamari, and chili powder and cook for 5 more minutes.
This turned out heavenly, but just to make it sinnful next time, I'll substitute broccoli for the zucchini.