In the last few years shoe manufacturers have been designing “barefoot technology” runners. Skechers just launched their GOrun running shoes and asked me to review them. They’ve also been kind enough to offer a pair for a lucky Live Lighter reader!
One of the reasons I love summer so much is because I can go barefoot. I do it as often as possible and reluctantly put on flip flops when I go out, and only for safety’s sake. So when Skechers asked me to review a pair of their latest runners with technology that mimics the barefoot experience, I jumped at the chance!
As you may be aware, there have been a multitude of studies tooting the benefits of running barefoot in recent years (here’s the website of one of the leading researchers in this field; by the way, he maintains more studies are needed before any final conclusions are drawn). These studies provide evidence that barefoot runners have the most natural stride.
This makes sense… as most Live Lighter readers will agree, nature has provided us with everything we need. Human attempts to build on its perfection usually come at a cost.
And indeed, these studies suggest that traditionally designed running shoes actually create a potentially injurious gait (a `heel-strike’) due to all the layers of shoe between our foot and the ground. We cannot feel when we’re “off” so we’re unable to adjust accordingly. This leads to lazy running and habitually poor form, leading to extra pressure in the knees and hips.
Features of the Skechers GOrun runner
So what fancy technology has Skechers produced in the GOrun to make them a superior running shoe?
- Barefoot last: organic natural last (wider through the ball of the foot with a lower heel drop), which moves the center of pressure forward. The extra space in the forefoot reduces friction and allows your toes to spread, grip and push off. The 4mm heel drop is 66% closer to the ground than traditional runners or trainers.
- SmartShoe™: curved bottom shifts the point of impact forward to create mid-foot strike and promote natural motion.
- Resalyte™: proprietary light-weight, injection-molded compound with memory retention.
- GOimpulse Sensors: independent circular sensors give your feet 360° responsive flexibility and enhanced sensory feedback. The high-abrasion rubber at strike points adds extra stability and traction control.
- Vari-lock: additional level lacing security helps prevent heel slippage.
- Sockless: integrated anti-microbial OrthoLite® sockliner helps inhibit odour.
Live Lighter GOrun Review
I’ve been trying out my new GOruns for a couple of weeks now and love them! They almost feel like slippers that hug your entire foot. They came with two different coloured laces, white and pink. At first the pink turned me off but now I just feel so sexy when I slip into them!
They are super light (6.9 oz) with flexible soles so you can be unbelievably responsive, just like they advertise. I’ve tried stopping on a dime and twist ‘n turn as if I’m dodging bullets and they really are amazing! I have weak ankles due to a couple of sprains and if I try dodging bullets in other runners, I tend to twist at least one of my ankles.
I have a wide foot so I really appreciate the roominess of the GOrun wider toe box. As for the two features designed to propel us forward and promote natural motion, I’m not really sure on this one… If every time I wear them I just want to keep going, is this proof these feature work?
They are so comfortable that they’ve actually helped encourage me to get out more often, though it’s generally to walk, not run. I’ve never been an avid runner, even at my most fittest, so I really cannot say that I’ve put them to the test in this area.
However, there are a few serious runner bloggers out there that have put a lot of miles on their GOruns to test their efficacy. And from what I can tell, although there does seem to be some improvement needed, all of these reviews said GOruns excelled!
Actually, a world-class testimonial to the effectiveness of Skechers’ GOrun running shoes is when their sponsored Olympian, Meb Keflezighi, won first at the 2012 Olympic Trials in the marathon event, beating his personal best, wearing a pair of GOruns!
You can purchase a pair of GOruns through the Skechers website (or Canadians, check out their .ca website and search which stores have them in your area). OR you can enter the Live Lighter GOrun giveaway contest below!
Skechers GOrun Giveaway Contest on Live Lighter
Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to post a video to YouTube with you jumping around like a monkey… although that would be fun…
“Why do you want a pair of GOruns?”
(Note: Your answer will not determine whether you win or lose, it is your act of commenting that will automatically enter you into the draw.)
Additional ways to enter:
- Publish this post on your Facebook wall, letting everyone know you entered the contest and offering them the opportunity to enter as well. (Add another comment to this post to let us know you fulfilled this task.)
- Tweet: Live Lighter is giving away a pair of Skechers GOrun runners! http://tinyurl.com/6occwjl