It’s a little weird, I know. You don’t normally associate carrot muffins with Valentine’s Day. BUT, there is a special ingredient in this healthy recipe that IS tied to this celebration of love.
I’ll give you one guess as to what this secret love ingredient is… It usually comes in a heart-shaped box at this time of year…
That’s right – chocolate!
- Releases feel-good endorphins, our natural opiates which reduce pain and decrease stress.
- Produces serotonin, neurotransmitters that act as our natural anti-depressants.
- Contains phenylethylamine which increases blood pressure and affects blood-sugar, causing excitement and alertness, similar to what we experience as love.
- Has anandamide, a chemical which works on our dopamine receptors leading to feelings of well-being. It resembles the active ingredient in marijuana (THC) and stimulates the feeling of euphoria.
- Includes theobromine, another chemical which mimics caffeine and stimulates the nervous system. It also has properties that can lead to mental and physical relaxation.
Chocolate Carrot Love Muffins
Happy Valentine’s Day, Everyone! May you all enjoy love in your own special ways.