Most people are now aware that this world is full of harmful chemicals. Today we hear from guest blogger, Alexandra, about some safe cosmetics recommended for those who care to reduce their exposure to dangerous toxins.
Numerous consumers have made the decision to enhance green living by choosing organic alternatives for food and household items. Consequently, organic skin care products and make-up items are rising in acceptance as well. However, government regulations allow almost any ingredient to be used in the production of items used daily on our skin, hair, and nails, as well as the water we drink.
In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration establishes the guidelines and criteria concerning the manufacture of food and drugs. The dilemma is that not as much attention is given to skin care and make-up products.
Some harmful ingredients used frequently in producing the most common non-organic skin care and make-up products include alcohol, isopropyl (SD-40), ammonium laureth sulfate, cyclomethicone, DEA, dioxane, imidazolidinyl urea and diazolidinyl urea, mercury, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, ethyl paraben nitrosamines, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulphate, stearalkonium chloride, and triethanolamine.
Many of these compounds are easily absorbed through a person’s skin; however, the body does not have the means to rid itself of them. Therefore, these toxins can remain inside a person’s body, eventually spreading through the body and causing damage to internal organs.
Organic Skin Care
When purchasing organic skincare products, it is still necessary to read product labels, as some organic skincare products may include harmful preservatives. Some of these products may contain emollients, emulsifiers, preservatives, and surfactants.
If you desire visibly clear and even-toned skin, you should create a good skin care routine. A good regimen starts with understanding ingredients and purchasing quality skin care products that are beneficial to use. Look for products that are gentle, yet effective, and which contain no harsh sulfates or damaging chemical by-products that can dry out skin and cause premature fine lines and wrinkles.
Cleansers. The first step in a skin care regimen is cleansing. It is important to look for a mild cleanser to remove pore-clogging dirt from the skin. If you regularly wear make-up, be sure your cleanser will remove make-up as well.
Organic cleansers typically use a combination of nut or fruit oils in addition to other botanical ingredients. Some of the natural ingredients used in creating cleansers, along with their benefits, are:
- Aloe vera – Balances pH of skin
- Apple juice – Softens skin
- Coconut, sunflower, jojoba, and sesame oil – Moisturize skin
- Green tea – Contains antioxidant properties
- Gotu kola extract – Helps relieve inflammation
- Patchouli essentials – Rehydrate wrinkled skin
- Sweet orange oil and chamomile – Contain aroma therapeutic benefits
- Yucca – Replaces lost nutrients
Exfoliants eliminate dead skin cells that can block pores and cause acne. Products containing alpha-hydroxy acids help loosen damaged skin cells, enhance cell regeneration, and boost deposit of glycosaminoglycans on the skin. These substances clear pores and refine the appearance and texture of the skin in order to allow agents, such as retinoid and antioxidants, to do their job.
Use exfoliants no more than two times a week to prevent damage to your skin, and be sure that the product is not too abrasive. Some organic exfoliants and their benefits are:
- Jojoba beads – Remove skin cells
- Jojoba oil and watercress extract – Feed the skin
- Lemon and bergamot essential oils – Add natural fragrance
- Raw cane sugar – Cleanses and exfoliates
- Shea butter, sesame seed oil, and olive oil – Remove signs of aging
- Sweet orange oil – Adds aroma therapeutic benefits
After cleansing, it is important to apply a gentle facial moisturizer to aid in hydrating the skin and increasing firmness and elasticity.
Regular ingredients in natural moisturizing products include essential oils, and nut and fruit oils. Nourishing plants used and their benefits are:
- Acai oil – Contains antioxidant properties
- Calendula oil – Relieves inflammation
- Cucumber extract, cupuacu butter, and shea butter – Moisturize skin
- Sweet almond oil, rice bran, aloe vera juice, and watercress extract – Add vitamins and minerals
If you want to protect your skin and body from harmful ingredients used in many commercial skin care products, then consider using organic products. Most people care about their well-being and health and, therefore, should be careful in selecting which skin care products they use.
Organic Skin Care Products
Below is a sampling of quality organic skincare products and brands you may consider adopting in your daily skin care regimen.
1) Dr. Hauschka. These products are certified natural skin care products formulated with the highest-quality organic ingredients and free of artificial preservatives. They are designed to work with your natural biological processes instead of against them to rebuild balance and overall well-being.
Dr. Hauschka skin care products are made with biodynamic and organic ingredients by using ecologically and ethically sound processes. These natural skin care products will renew and balance skin, and provide a healthier and more vibrant appearance.
- Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream. This product cleanses gently, exfoliates, fortifies, and refreshes skin to produce a healthy glow. Skin is fortified while the gentle exfoliation brings out skin vibrancy. Ingredients include anthyllis and calendula extracts, which calm and clarify skin, and St. John’s wort and chamomile extracts, which have a soothing effect.
- Dr. Hauschka Face Toner. An herbal blend of anthyllis and witch hazel extracts help complete the cleansing process. This refreshing toner improves the appearance of pores, as well as supports firmness and elasticity.
2) Erbaviva. One of the trendsetters in the market for organic skin care products, Erbaviva adheres to using the highest criteria of ingredients, evolving processes and sustainability. They offer quality organic products that blend European artisan qualities with healthy California organic culture. All products are created with uniquely pure essential oils, botanicals, and living herbs, adhering to the greatest standards of organic certification and safety.
- Hand cream. Your hands will immediately feel soft and soothed with Erbaviva Hand Cream. A blend of organic guggul, rosemary extract, and shea butter creates this essential remedy for dry and dull skin. Use this lightweight, effective formula daily to keep hands soft and rejuvenated.
3) One Love Organics. This brand features products that are made by hand using only the highest grade of ethically obtained raw ingredients. One Love Organics is a natural and environmentally focused cosmetics company founded by expert cosmetic artisans.
Their belief is centered on a few superlative products that provide skin what it needs by using only ingredients which provide direct benefits. Since these products are very pure, they provide benefits to family members of all ages.
- One Love “Love Springs Eternal Youth Preservation Serum." This anti-aging serum is unique. It features watermelon seed oil to smooth skin, dissolve build-up, and provide an abundant blend of essential fatty acids. Bulgarian Rose Oil is added to tone and moisturize, and D’Orientine S protects skin from environmental sources of aging.
About the Author
Alexandra has been writing since 2009 for various travel, culture, and beauty publications. She is an organic beauty fanatic and enjoys concocting homemade potions.
Do you have any favourite organic skin care products to add to this list?