Diabetes is a very serious condition. Whether you have type 1 or type 2, or you’ve been diagnosed with border-line diabetes, it’s mainly controlled by lifestyle changes. (I blogged about my personal experience with this in THE Single Most Important Thing You Can Do For Yourself or Your Family.) Here are some healthy eating tips for diabetics by guest blogger, Sam.
Have you been recently diagnosed with diabetes or have your doctor warned you that you are at a risk of developing diabetes? If yes, then it is a high time that you take a right step. For a person having diabetes, maintaining a healthy diet is the most important essence of healthy life. What is a diabetic diet? What are the dangerous foods for diabetics?
Eating right is very important if you are trying to control or prevent diabetes. There are other focuses besides diet that also plays an equally important role, like weight loss, exercise and healthy lifestyle changes.
Diabetic diet and tips:
- Eat lot of green veggies: Green vegetables are packed with nutrients that are powerhouses of the body. They are naturally very low in calories and filled with nutritious minerals and fibers. One should aim for at least 4-5 servings of vegetables each day.
- Go easier on starchy vegetables: Starchy vegetables like potatoes, peas are very high in calories than other green vegetables.
- Have a bowl of fruits each day: Fruits possess the same benefits as the vegetables. They also contain antioxidants that are very beneficial for the heart, eyes and nervous system. Because fruits contain natural sugar hence one cannot eat them in abundance.
- Choose high fiber low carbohydrate foods: Replace high on calorie foods with the low calorie and fibrous food options. Instead of white rice one can opt for brown rice. Potatoes can be replaced with the sweet potatoes or yams and include water foods like watermelon into your diet.
- Do not eliminate sweets, just be smart with their use: If you think you will have to punish your sweet tooth by keeping away from sweets, it is not true – you can cheat your sweet teeth by selecting your food wisely. Eat your sweet with a meal rather than stand alone. While enjoying your portion of sweet, savour and enjoy each bite rather than gulping down the whole at once.
- Choose healthy fats: Healthy fats include the saturated forms of fats. Best of the unsaturated fats comes from fish and plant sources – these are liquid at room temperature. Good sources of unsaturated fats include tuna, salmon and flax seeds, etc. and using olive oil instead of vegetable or butter will improve the health factor of the diabetics.
- Eat lots of nuts: Nuts are loaded with good fats. They are a good source of vitamin-E that is helpful for eyes, skin and the nervous system. Nuts like almonds and walnuts are rich in fibers and magnesium and these both help in lowering blood sugar levels.
- Good and safe medicines: Another aspect is to stick to the correct and safe medicines prescribed by doctors, like Glucobay. Glucobay (100mg) is an oral anti-diabetic drug that lowers the elevated levels of sugar in the body. It contains Acarbose as an active moiety. Glucobay alone is used as an adjuvant with diet for balancing the blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetes.
About the Author
Sam is a niche Blogger and a health expert. His knowledge about health industry and urge to gain information helps him create a sound information base for Healthy Living.
Do you have any experience with diabetic eating habit? Please share it with us!