Did you get a new cell phone for Christmas? If you did or you use a cell phone as a landline like I do, this guest post by Lloyd Burrell is a must read! Not only does he give us the latest news about mobile phone radiation, he includes tips of how we can protect our health.
Aren’t cell phones great? Just about everyone you see on the street or in a car has a cell phone glued to their ear or one of those Bluetooth devices hanging off it.
They are just so handy. You are out shopping and you forgot what sort of pasta sauce your nearest and dearest asked you to pick up. You get caught in traffic on the way home from work, a quick call to your partner, and they know where you are. Cell phones really have improved our lives in so many ways.
Cell Phones – The Downside
But what about the downside? Is there one? There is so much conflicting info on the WWW and elsewhere regarding the dangers of cell phone radiation, that you are probably wondering if there really is a downside. Actually there is.
Cell phones emit and receive electromagnetic fields (EMFs) similar to little microwave radios going two-ways. If you don’t believe me you can see for yourself. Hold a Cornet radiation meter next to your cell phone when it’s in use, you can see what it’s emitting. Studies show that EMFs of the type that cell phones use can cause DNA structure mutations, which translates into an increased risk of brain tumors and cancer (from clamping cellphones to our ears). EM radiation is also being linked to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and even diabetes.
In May of this year the World Health Organization (WHO), put out a report stating that they are a Class2B carcinogen. In 2007 an independent panel of scientists, published the Bioinitiative report which reviewed over 2000 studies highlighting the adverse effects and in San Francisco they are putting stickers on cell phone packaging to warn about the adverse health effects.
So what can you do? We have become reliant on cellphones, just like computers, they are now part of our lives.
It’s about being aware and making a few compromises. Not giving up cell phones, but changing your behavior to take account of the dangers.
7 Tips To Safeguard Your Health
Here are seven quick tips that will help to safeguard your health immediately:
- Reduce your cellphone time. It might not be what you want to hear but less exposure means less risk.
- Use your speakerphone as much as possible. This has the advantage of keeping the EMF emissions farther away from your head.
- Learn to switch your cell off. Do you really need to be contactable 24/7? Switching off from time to time can be empowering.
- Use texting rather than voice to communicate. You can text with the phone away from your head so this is much safer.
- Keep your cell phone out of the bedroom. Studies show that EMF damage is far worse at night, so to be safe better leave it out of your sleeping area.
- Make a habit of using your landline (a corded one preferably) as much as possible. It might cost a bit more but believe me it’s worth it for your health.
- Establish a cell phone basket in your home. Like the umbrella stands in the old days, it’s a place where you put your cell phone when you are at home. You can leave it on if you need to, that way you avoid having it switched on on your person all the time.
Follow these tips and you’ll reduce your exposure to cell phone radiation a whole lot. Phone radiation is just a part of the big picture because electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are all around us. But already if you do the above you will, I think, you will be able to live just a little bit lighter……
About the Author
Lloyd Burrell developed a sensitivity to EMFs in 2002. He now likes to blog to raise awareness on the dangers of cell phones, cordless phones, WiFi, Bluetooth dirty electricity EMFs, and more. You can follow him on Twitter here.
I love Lloyd’s tip #7, and found the perfect solution at Chapters Indigo, it’s a pair of open hands in classy black, and it can also double as a book holder for either reading or holding a cookbook while cooking!! Do you have any cell phone tips in reducing your exposure to EMFs?