This post was inspired by reader, Emmanuel Lopez, who suggested that healthy bread spreads might be a good way to complete The Perfect Way to Start Your Morning. Breakfast jump starts your metabolism and has been tooted the most important meal of the day, as discussed on Eat a Big Breakfast & Lose Weight.
So if you’re tired of smoothies but want something as simple and (almost) as nutritious, here are a few healthy spreads to try on plain, healthy bread or toast:
- Pure maple butter. This spread is thick, sweet and full of maply-goodness. Plus, you get all the health benefits of maple syrup: a good source of manganese and zinc, an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune booster – not to mention it’s heart and prostate healthy!
- Almond nut butter. I love President’s Choice Just Almonds – they have crunchy and smooth at a very reasonable price (compared to other nut butters on the market). It’s a good source of Vitamin E and protein. For a complete meal idea, slice some bananas on top!
- Other nut butters. Besides typical peanut butter, there’s nut butters made from hazelnuts, cashews, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Try all of them! Canada’s Nuts to You Nut Butter Inc. even brings nuts together in nut-imony (ha ha) : almond & cashew, almond & hazelnut, macadamia & cashew, peanut & hazelnut. As in the above tip, add some suitable fresh fruit or organic jams to round out the meal.
- Apple butter. I have yet to try this interesting spread but I will now since it’s so easy to make! It’s basically condensed apple sauce with all it’s health benefits (high in fiber, antioxidants and flavinoids for anti-inflammatory effects) and immune-boosting Vitamin C content.
- Nutella. Believe it or not, this chocolate hazelnut spread from the maker’s of Ferrero is fairly healthy! The good fats in it will battle any negative effects of the low level of saturated fats in it and we all know about the anti-oxidants in dark chocolate. 🙂
- Carrot Almond Butter Spread. This one is new to me, too, so if you try it before I do, let me know how it goes! Thanks to The Vital You’s Ultimate Holistic Cookbook for inspiration: Boil 2 cups carrots in 1/4 cup water until tender. Drain and reserve broth. Puree carrots in blender with 2 tbsp. almond spread and a dash of sea salt. Gradually add broth but only if needed for creamier texture.
Have you a favourite bread spread that makes you jump out of bed in the morning? Please share it with us!