Yesterday’s post was a teaser and illustrated some amazing health results I’ve achieved in just a few weeks. This post is the second half of my first USANA products review and reveals exactly what I did to regain control of my life.
At the end of June, I started a supplementation regimen:
USANA’s HealthPak 100™ – More than a multivitamin
The HealthPak 100 delivers a full-body approach to supplementation, designed to provide a comprehensive balance of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to support the function of various tissues and organ systems in the body.
One box contains a 4 week supply of 56 individually wrapped packets, 6 tablets in the morning and 6 at night:
- the full daily dose of the USANA Essentials™ (Mega Antioxidant plus Chelated Mineral)
- Active Calcium™, a core USANA Optimizer
- USANA’s unique AO Booster™ for added antioxidant protection (contains, among other bioflavinoids, a full daily dose of the grape-seed extract found in Proflavanol® 90).
I’ve researched USANA and trust they produce quality nutritional supplements. They are up-to-date in all the latest clinical studies on nutrition and take into account the bioavailability of their supplements. With a well-balanced, healthy diet, USANA’s HealthPak 100™ can help deliver essential nutrients missing in even the most nutrition-conscious individuals.
After a week, I implemented USANA’s health program:
This 5-day, high-fiber cleanse program is designed to reset your metabolism and stabilize your blood sugar. It helps you kick your carb cravings, lose weight and guides you on a path to healthy eating. The kit includes:
- 5 day supply of USANA’s HealthPak 100™
- 15 meal replacement shakes (chocolate, vanilla and strawberry)
- 10 snack bars (oatmeal raisin and chocolate peanut butter)
- checklist, daily motivation, food suggestions for daily bonus snacks and helpful hints
- recommended next phases that work for you
The reasoning behind USANA’s RESET program lies in the fact that most people today have become insulin resistant due to poor diet and lifestyle choices. Some foods spike our blood sugar which causes an equally opposite reaction. Our blood sugar drops like a rock and when it does, we crave more food (usually junk) as the body strives for a balanced blood sugar level.
Leading nutrition expert, Dr. Ray Strand, suggests that much of what we assume to be emotional eating is actually a natural response to consuming high-glycemic foods. After a short time of assaulting our bodies with spikes and dips in blood sugar (called glycemic stess), we become insulin resistant. At this stage, the body starts storing sugar as fat (particularly in the belly).
The solution? A low-glycemic, balanced diet can reset the body at a cellular level. It stops the vicious glycemic stress cycle and eliminates unhealthy food cravings. Plus, you’ll store less fat. USANA says that most people can make this change in 5 days.
What I loved about the RESET™
- The meal replacement shakes tasted especially yummy with a serving of fruit (a bonus snack) blended with them (cherries, strawberries, plums, peaches, etc.).
- With less time in the kitchen preparing meals and cleaning, I was able to successfully handle an extremely stressful week. Not only did I meet expectations, I exceeded them!
- The snack bars are truly scumptious. The oatmeal raisin bar is especially tasty.
- Lost 2 pounds in 5 days.
- I never went hungry. Since my main goal was to reset my metabolism rather than lose weight, I helped myself to as many of the bonus snacks (fruit & veggies) and I wanted.
- By the end of the 5 days, my digestion was spectacular! My belly was flat again rather than bloated, my carb cravings dwindled to light, periodic twinges of desire and my stress was under control!
The second day into the 5-day RESET was probably the worst with a dull, throbbing headache that lasted the entire day. I was slightly irritable but it was controllable. I experienced gas throughout the week and frequent trips to the restroom (although they were healthy trips, if you know what I mean!). I’ve also noticed my first urine or two after taking the supplements is a bright, fluorescent yellow. All-in-all, these negatives far out-weigh the positives!
What I’m not so hot on about USANA products
Looking at the ingredients listed on the products in the RESET kit, there are quite a few that I cannot pronounce. If you read Live Lighter on a regular basis, you’ll know we advocate natural products for healthy living.
USANA Health Sciences is a company which produces high quality products created in a lab based on the latest clinical studies in nutrition. However, good nutrition comes at a cost – most of us lead busy lives with packed schedules that rarely leave us time to prepare healthy meals.
Who benefits most from USANA?
USANA is perfect for those who want to take good care of their bodies but lack the time to do it the old-fashioned way. Even for those of you who do not need to lose weight or reset your metabolism, who invest in organic food and prepare tasty, healthy meals, I’d still suggest USANA’s supplementation in order to combat the effects of today’s typical lifestyle.
The USANA 5-day RESET program helped prepare me for the anti-inflammatory detox in The Hormone Diet. With food cravings under control, it’s been a successful 3 weeks maintaining the restrictions in the anti-inflammatory detox and reintroducing foods that may have been causing some of my digestive discomfort.
So far I’ve discovered my body dislikes beef, corn and eggs. Yay! Now I know.
I’ve also been doing regular PSYCH-K with myself, which may have also contributed to my amazing changes!
So what do you think, Readers? Are you ready to try USANA out for yourself? If you are, please contact me: stephanie [at] livelighter [dot] org and I can hook you up with a trusted associate.