3 Homemade Foot Scrubs for Soft & Silky Heels
These feet were made for walking but did you know that the skin on our feet is a very delicate part on our body? Today guest blogger, Farheen Salman, shares with us several homemade, natural foot scrubs for us to use on a regularly basis for soft, silky heels.
Since the entire weight of our body is handled by our feet, the skin of our feet require regular upkeep and failure to do so result in cracked heels and many other foot problems. The cracks on our heels do not cause many problems at first, but when they tend to penetrate deep into the skin, that’s when we can develop issues.
It can be very painful and may cause bleeding in some cases. To avoid this, we need adequate moisture, hydration, a healthy diet and regular exfoliation. The most probable reasons for cracked heels are:
- Exposure to the environment and standing for long hours
- Exposing your feet to water excessively, especially when bathing
- Your weight also affects your heels in a number of ways. Being overweight can overburden your feet
- Various skin related problems such as psoriasis and eczema can cause cracked heels
- Wearing shoes and footwear which are not your size can also lead to cracks
Symptoms of Dry and Cracked Heels
Symptoms of cracked heels are dry, itchy, inflamed and rough skin. The condition gets worst when you experience bleeding from the skin.
Fortunately, this problem can be eliminated if we follow certain organic homemade hacks which not only cures cracked heels but also take due care of our feet.
You can try the following 3 superb homemade foot scrub hacks:
Brown Sugar & Lemon Foot Scrub
This is one of the easiest and natural scrubs which you can make at home as the ingredients include many common items which we use on a daily basis. The main advantage of using this scrub on your feet is that it removes dead skin cells from your feet and allows the growth of new cells.
- Brown sugar- 2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- Bathtub half filled with warm water.
- Mix all the ingredients and stir it thoroughly to make a thick paste.
- To clean your feet from all the dirt and other pollutants, soak your feet in warm water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Apply this paste on your feet and gently rub it in a circular motion while your feet are still in the tub.
- Then, rinse your feet with fresh water and enjoy your clean and smooth feet.
Milk & Baby Oil Footbath
Follow the steps mentioned below to get revitalized and smooth skin on your feet.
- Milk- 1 cup
- Warm water- 5 cups
- Sugar or salt- 4 tbsp
- Baby oil or coconut oil- half cup
- Pumice stone
- Stridex pad
- Moisturizer particularly Vaseline
• In a tub, add 5 cups of warm water and 1 cup of milk and soak your feet for about 10-15 minutes. You can also try the famous Listerine foot bath for this purpose.
• In another bowl, mix ½ cup of coconut oil with sugar and salt. Mix both items well.
• When a thick paste is formed, massage this on your feet and scrub with the pumice stone to remove dead skin cells.
• Wash your feet and dry using a pair of towels.
• Before going to bed, use stridex pad to exfoliate your feet.
• After doing that, apply a moisturizing cream such as Vaseline on your heels and bottom of your feet.
• Now wear socks and leave it overnight as this whole therapy would also remove dead skin cells quickly.
Homemade Moisturizing Cream
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- Lemon or Lavender oil: 2 to 3 drops
- Add 2 to 3 drops of lemon or lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Shake the mixture until a milky solution is formed and then apply it.
- This can be applied anytime whenever you need it
This homemade formula can treat your cracked heels by giving you soft and smooth skin while saving your money on pedicures. Try out these homemade hacks and you would be amazed by the results.
About the Author
Farheen Salman blogs at FS Fashionista, a beauty, health and makeup blog that publishes beauty hacks, cosmetics reviews and health tips for women. You can also follow her on twitter here: https://twitter.com/fsfashionista
When you try one of these recipes, please come back and tell us your thoughts in the comment section below!