If you’ve been following Live Lighter, we’ve been on an elimination diet adventure. It’s a diet designed to help you find foods that irritate your digestive system because you’re either allergic to or sensitive to them. These foods include gluten, 3 types of nuts, dairy, sugar, nightshade veggies, soy, shellfish and catfish, several fruits, corn, caffeine, alcohol, and certain meats.
That list doesn’t leave much left! Even in my Allergy-Free recipe books, there are recipes that include several items on the “to avoid” list, like tomato or eggplant (both from the nightshade family) or lemon and limes (citrus fruits – not allowed). This makes creating tasty meals quite the challenge, let me tell you!
So I thought I’d share some of my recipes that I’ve found or created since I’ve been on this very restrictive diet. Even if you’re not on an elimination diet, these recipes are very healthy and extremely easy to digest – as long as you don’t wolf them down.
Here are 3 allergy-free recipes to try out:
Steph’s Zesty Black Bean Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Serves 4 people (with lots left-over for the week)
1 can black beans, rinsed
½ small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
3 tbsp tahini sauce (sesame paste)
2 tbsp flax oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp marjoram
3 tbsp distilled or filtered water
sea salt and pepper to taste
Blend ingredients in blender until smooth. Try serving with fresh, raw veggies or rice crackers.
Steph’s Yummy Lamb Dish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
1 cup brown rise, rinsed
2 cups water
2 cup spinach, rinsed and de-stemmed
2 cup kale, rinsed and trimmed from stems
4 tbsp tahini sauce
4 lamb medallions
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place brown rice in a pot and fill with water. Tickle rice with your fingers and strain it with fingers or lid. Repeat. Put 2 cups of water with rinsed rice in the pot and bring to boil. Put lid on and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Place the lamb medallions on a drip or broiling pan – one that’ll allow the fat to drip down away from the lamb as it cooks. Put the lamb in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Prepare greens and place in a pan with water. Put a lid on it. When the rice has about 5 minutes left to finish, start steaming the greens on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and scoop 1 cup onto a plate.
- Place steamed greens on top of the rice.
- Drizzle tahini sauce over rice and greens.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cut medallions into quarters and place on top of greens.
- Serve and enjoy.
Elimination Friendly Rice Pudding
This tasty rice pudding recipe was adapted from The Vital You’s Ultimate Holistic Cookbook:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 cup left over cooked brown rice
Almond milk to desired consistency, stevia to taste
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp warm water
Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste
Dash of sea salt
½ tsp vanilla
1 handful raisins, soaked (optional)
- Beat together ground flax seeds and warm water, until smooth. This is your egg substitute. If you prefer another, use it. Or if you can have dairy, replace these two ingredients with 1 egg.
- Mix all ingredients together in a pot. Heat slowly on stovetop until gently boiling, stir, reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!