In this fantastic Healthygirl.ca article, “A Nation of Addicts,” Natalia suggests that the cause and cure for addiction is consciousness. And she’s not the only one. Many people today believe that we use our addictions to silence our bodies and emotions.
Spiritual leaders like Eckhart Tolle teach us the benefits of mastering the art of creating peace and how to activate the power of Now. For quick reference, straight from the Live Lighter vaults, here are 27 tips to bring you into the present moment so you can break the cycle of addiction:
- Drink water.
- Breathe! Most of us breathe from the tops of our lungs. Try filling up your lower lungs with longer inhales/exhales.
- Run up and down a few stairs.
- Get on the floor and do some core exercises.
- Ask yourself: “Right now, do I really want this insert addiction here?”
- Call a buddy who’s overcome the same addiction or who’s also trying to raise their consciousness level.
- Make some tea.
- Ask yourself: “Why am I better off without insert addiction here?”
- Do some dishes.
- Organize papers.
- Brush your teeth.
- Ask yourself: “Do I really appreciate my life?”
- Simply stop and listen for 2 minutes.
- Ask yourself: “How’s my posture?”
- Wash or splash your face with water.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
- Play with those fun musical Chinese meditation balls.
- Put together an old school picture puzzle.
- Ask yourself: “What am I feeling right now?”
Since everyone’s an individual, some of the above tips may not appeal to you. Many of them work because they require you to attend to your physical body and it’s needs. This helps get you out of your head and into the present moment.
You can make your own list by thinking of activities that you lose all sense of time when you perform. Hint: they bring you joy!
What are some of your consciousness tips? Please share them with us below!