So you want to feel good, eh? Well, getting high is a grand way to go. But there’s many different ways to get high as we discussed in Part I. Last week, we simplified the definition of `getting high’ to “creating a positive altered state of consciousness”. Anything you find pleasurable positively alters your physiology, giving you the perception of being in a higher state of awareness.
Some methods of altering your state of mind and body are less damaging than others. The most natural alternatives, the ones with fewer chemicals, are the least harmful ones. So if you want to live a little longer and still follow your instincts to get high, add some variety and go natural! Here are 12 more ideas:
- Hot baths. Having similar affects as exercise, taking a hot bath gets the heart pumping and lowers blood pressure. It counteracts stress, soothing internal organs and the endocrine system.
- Massages. Deep tissue massage may release the brain’s opiates, endorphins, which promote feelings of happiness and well-being. Massage is known to improve blood circulation and muscle tone, lower blood pressure, and stimulate the lymphatic system for faster detoxification, which in turn decreases the stress on the body.
- Meditation or prayer. Both of these practices, some say they are one and the same, can create the same euphoric state. People report (and science has confirmed) that when meditating they lose a sense of self and concept of all space and time. Sounds spiritual AND psychedelic, doesn’t it?
- Creativity. Creativity throws the brain into lower brainwaves called the alpha state. This state allows us to focus intently and tap into our intuition. Creativity is often thought of as another form of meditation or spiritual activity.
- Sunbathing. The sun is thought to be nature’s own anti-depressant. Sunlight seems to effect hormone production, shutting down the secretion of melatonin (what makes us sleepy) and increase serotonin (what makes us happy).
- Nature connection. Ok, who here hasn’t relaxed to either being in nature or listening to its music? Tons of relaxation music is sold so that people can activate alpha brainwaves and enter into a relaxed alertness.
- Enlightenment. This is a state that many people reach for all their lives. It’s a total sense of connectedness with the universe. We are all one. All you know is peace and you can sense the divine in every living creature. You’re higher than a kite and you’ve done it with the power of your mind! Try reading Stuart’s interesting post about the brain, enlightenment and meditation practice.
- Helping or contributing. In the game of life, most species (especially humans) survive because they live in groups. Just think, having compassion and helping those in need makes you the kind of person that many people would like to help survive. It’s healthy to do good!
- Problem-solving or achievement. Here we are again with the alpha state for problem-solving. And who can argue that succeeding gives you a huge high? Although I couldn’t find the research to back it up, serotonin is a likely suspect.
- Competition. How many times have you heard that a little competition is healthy? Don’t you find it fun to challenge yourself by competing against a worthy opponent? I don’t think humans would have survived this long without the drive and fulfillment that competition gives us.
- Art. Story telling, painting, sculpture, etc. All of these represent the product of creativity. It stands to reason that the power and energy that artists use to create their works would somehow live for as long as the work exists. Hmmm…I think it’s time to visit the art museum, again… 🙂
- Several types of plants, herbs and grains (untreated and naturally fermented). My favourite debate! Many plants with psychedelic effects have proven to have health benefits when used in moderation. What really harms us is the unnatural processing methods and added chemicals. Just like food, if you make it or grow it yourself, you’ll be positive of what you’re consuming.
That wraps up 20 ways to get high naturally. There’s got to be more out there. Don’t be shy – leave yours in the comment section!