Home fitness tips 10 Common Workout Mistakes

10 Common Workout Mistakes

written by Head Health Nutter May 20, 2008

Last week, Metro News published a great article submitted by the editors of alive.com . Covering the most popular workout faux pas, here they are compliments of Alive Magazine (topped with Live Lighter commentary:

  1. Talking while working out . This is true for medium to intense workouts. Your heart rate should be at a level where your breathing is somewhat laboured and conversation difficult to maintain. However, for your light workout days, grab a buddy and yap till you come home!
  2. Training without purpose. Alive Magazine says fitness goals are imperative as they motivate you to train with purpose and determination. When you’re just starting out, however, I think it’s more important to just get in the fitness habit. Which means no pressure! When you’re ready, meaning, when you get bored, then it’s time for some serious intentions.
  3. Avoiding training beyond your comfort level. 90% of us do not train hard enough and the remaining 10% train too hard. In that 90%, though, there are folks just taking up the healthy habit. If you’re just starting out, don’t listen to these Alive.com guys. It’s in The Secret to Making Healthy Living Easy – just keep doing whatever you want to do physically, just as long as you do something everyday.
  4. Doing the same old thing. Physiologically speaking, it takes the body about 8 – 12 weeks to adapt to a new stress. If you want to reach your fitness goals, you have to gradually add new or different stress to break down tissue. It’s also my 6th Step to Getting a Bodacious Beach Bod in Time for Summer .
  5. Training only certain muscles. Who wants strong, lean thighs and flabby, chicken arms? Alive Mag says that it’s common for people to train only what they see, so they often forget about the back of the body (calves, hamstrings, back, triceps, etc.). Something else I’ve noticed is that many people have favourite exercises (the easy ones that work on muscles already developed) and dislike the harder ones (the exercises they need to build their underdeveloped muscles).
  6. Slouching. Any fitness professional will tout the importance of maintaining proper posture in every exercise. Actually, it is important to hold a neutral spine in EVERY movement you make to build or maintain core muscle strength and avoid hurting yourself.
  7. Breathing improperly. This point fits in with the above slouching point. When you’re core muscles are flexed, your breathing becomes a little deeper and intentional. Alive gives some good advice, “A good breathing pattern starts with an inhalation through the nose (while keeping your shoulders from lifting up toward your ears), filling the chest and then the belly. Exhale through your mouth, releasing all the air from your belly.”
  8. Not knowing when to stop. There’s good, healthy pain (when you break down muscle tissue) and then there’s bad, physiotherapy-worthy pain. Find your perfect pain level.
  9. Building up too quickly. Alive suggests that your workout program be progressive so that your body slowly adapts. Apparently, this is especially important for the connective tissue around the joints because it is unable to handle too great of a load.
  10. Making exercise too much work. Make exercise easy and fun. It’s that simple. You have a mind, creativity and choices so stop making excuses and just get out there and get younger, stronger, healthier and smokin’ hot!

Thanks to Alive and to the Metro for the great list of common workout no-no’s. Do you have any to add?

If you liked this article, you might enjoy these Live Lighter posts:

7 Tips for Effective Workouts
The Best Workout Video Ever!

How to Get a Bodacious Beach Bod in Time for Summer

15 Practical and Easy Health Tips

Five Steps to Losing 25lbs in 3 Months

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Subscribe without commenting

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com