In our hectic society, we often neglect the needs of our bodies and inadvertently weaken our immune systems. A regular cleanse helps us focus on our health for awhile and heal the damage caused by hectic lifestyles.
But no one ever said cleansing was easy. It takes a firm decision, self-discipline, a little knowledge and preparation to be successful because you’re ultimately changing your habits. At least for a spell.
Plus, your body may need a little extra assistance in detoxing. It’s held onto these toxins in your fat cells in order to protect you from the harmful chemicals. By cleansing, you’ll be releasing these toxins back into your system and you’ll want to get rid of them as quickly as possible.
Here are a few tips to make cleansing a little easier:
- Do the best you can at any given time. No one is perfect so please don’t beat yourself up if you slip, or use it as an excuse to give up! Just enjoy the indulgence (guilt will only make it worse) and continue with your cleansing efforts.
- Plan your cleanse. Check your calendar and schedule your cleanse. Avoid cleansing during major commitments, such as a move, vacation or large social events.
- Drink lots of water. At least 2 liters a day during your cleanse to flush the released toxins from your system. Use spring water or reverse osmosis water, if you can. Filtered water would be the next best choice.
- Reduce stress. If your life is too hectic, try reviewing your commitments to see where you can trim the fat. People will understand, especially if you find a replacement or offer alternative solutions to fill the gap that you’ll be leaving. In addition, learn stress-management techniques and use them!
- Get a detox buddy. Many experts suggest that it’s easier to adopt healthy habits, like walking and becoming smoke-free, if you have a friend that’s attempting to accomplish the same goal. This type of social support is great because it fosters a mutual understanding of the challenges you’ll both encounter.
- Moderate exercise. Exercise increases circulation of blood, oxygen and nutrients to our tissues and promotes the removal of waste products. Avoid strenuous activity, since it hampers your body’s ability to detox, and instead perform exercises that promote relaxation and well-being. Walking, of course, is an excellent option as well yoga and Pilates.
- Consume cleansing drinks. There are a plethora of detoxifying drinks out there, mainly herbal teas and juices. Slippery elm tea helps reduce inflammation of the colon and here are Live Lighter’s 17 most detoxifying drinks to enjoy!
- Take supportive supplements. This tip could be very well it’s own post (hint hint) but for now, the major ones are: a good probiotic, garlic (which helps rid body of many parasites), a liver cleansing herbal formula, spirulina (high in protein, vitamin, minerals and chlorophyll) bowel cleanser with fiber and omega-3 fish oils (reduces inflammation).
- Dry brushing. This massage increases circulation and cell rejuvenation, helps reduce cellulite by stimulating the lymphatic system to release toxins, and softens the skin. Done before bathing or showering, you take a natural bristle brush and brush your body in strokes towards the heart. Avoid areas with acne, eczema, psoriasis, broken skin, recent scars and protruding varicose veins.
- Enjoy hot baths with epsom salts. Not only relaxing, epsom salt baths open skin pores to facilitate the excretion of toxins and soothes tight muscles, aches and pains. The magnesium in epsom salts help ease stress, improve sleep and concentration and reduce inflammation. The sulfates help flush toxins and improve nutrient absorption. Just be aware of hot bath hazards!
- Clean house. Not literally, although detoxifying your environment as best you can also helps with reducing your exposure to toxins, but cleaning out the fridge and cupboards of treats go a long way in your cleansing success.
- Take saunas. Similar to hot baths, the heat of the sauna improves circulation and the supply of oxygen to the cells, as well as relaxes muscles and provides general mind-body relaxation. It also opens up nasal passages and skin pores to help facilitate detoxification.
- Journal. Many people use food for emotional fulfillment. When you suddenly eliminate a coping mechanism, emotions will surface. Try journalling for a healthy way to emotionally cleanse and to reduce tension.
- Massages. Similar to the side-effects of baths and saunas, massages increase circulation, stimulate the lymphatic system, strengthen the immune system, increase toxin removal and provide general relaxation.
- Be good to yourself. Probably the most important tip, it’s recommended that you reward yourself every day. Not only during your cleanse but for the rest of your life. But choose healthy alternatives! Some of the above suggestions may be a special treat but do whatever suits your preferences, budget and lifestyle. You deserve it!
These 15 cleansing tips will make it easier on both you and your body when detoxing. Do you have any cleansing tips to share?